Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Can I throw my own baby shower?

Why not!!

Even though baby shower etiquette is constantly changing, one practice that has stood the test of time is to not throw your own shower. People think it's like asking for gifts for yourself. Imagine getting an invitation in the mail that says something like this:

" You've been invited to my birthday party!
If you are coming to my party,
please RSVP with me, the hostess, by June 1st.
I am registered at Target".

Sounds pushy, right? Well, I think asking for gifts for your baby as opposed to yourself is different and completely justified. People nowadays know how it is; if there’s a baby on the way, he/she will need things. And since most of us don’t live on Rodeo Drive, having people donate stuff would be a great help. And you should expect your friends and family to help you out, because that’s what they’re there for. So, for all of you expectant mom’s who want to take charge and plan your own celebration, go right ahead, and have fun!
But what about those of you who live far away from everyone? Your other option is to wait until the baby is born and mail out baby announcements, or have some kind of get-together at a big holiday to show off the new baby. And believe me, in either case, the presents will come by the truckload because people naturally love to spoil babies.
I personally think it’s great to have someone else other than the mom-to-be to plan the baby shower. The bun in the oven is causing enough stress as it is. The expectant mom should be relaxing and getting ready for the big day instead of worrying about decorations, food and party favors. But hey, it’s up to you. Your baby shower should be about what you want.

1 comment:

Megan said...

really helped me out! Thanks

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/">Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.