Monday, September 24, 2007

History of the Baby Shower

I've been searching like crazy lately, trying to find out how Americans started celebrating baby showers. Unfortunately, I could not find too much information. But here's what I did learn:


Turns out that baby showers became popular after World War II, and they were originally held about 1 month after the baby was born. The new mom's female friends and family members got together just like we do today, but the purpose was to comfort the new mom, and give her as much support as possible. That's basically the reason we have baby showers today, but I would say the main focus is on the new baby, not so much the mom.


There is even some thought that the ancient Egyptians or Romans could have started the baby shower craze, but no concrete evidence.
With the exception of having the celebration before the birth, and having men attend a baby shower, most of the etiquette and traditions have remained the same. However, it's not really frowned upon in today's society to go against tradition.


So, how exactly did we start celebrating baby showers?? I guess this is one of those questions we'll just never know the answer to. But, I won't give up! I'll keep searching, and I'll definitely keep you updated! If you have any thoughts or information to add about the origination of baby showers, please post a comment.
Thanks!

1 comment:

Cali-delights said...

Hi West,
I am writing back from the comment you let on my blog. I don’t know how to use this blog thing very well so I figured to make sure I got you I would just post to your new comment. The truth is that I did two diapercakes about a year ago for a baby shower and everyone went crazy over them. They asked where I purchased them. I told them I had made them and they could not believe it. So I did about 4 that were purchased after that and I loved every minute of it. But I have not had any more reasons to make them. But I have considered looking into seeing what to do to advertise them. So that’s when I decided to start my blog. If anything at least it can be for fun. But I did have a few people say that they couldn’t believe I did them because they looked very professional. That’s another thing, I spend quite some time on them so that’s probably why they are so beautiful. When you start doing them for business its almost like the quality diminishes unless you have people and help. But the thought is nice. Who knows, maybe. Right now I am trying to learn about online ranking and stuff like that. I think that would be a key to get more people to see them and request to purchase them. Thank you for you comment, its well appreciated. :)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/">Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.